Trip Report: Japan - Oct 2019 (Part 3 - final)

Day 11 - Odaiba day

I left with my friend in the morning around 9AM and headed towards Odaiba. I stopped by first at Teamlab Planets. I liked the exhibition - especially the velvet lined walls- but went through it really quickly in 30-40 minutes even though I did take pictures! The only exhibit I missed there was Cold Life.

For lunch, I went to Venus Fort and headed to Teamlab Borderless afterwards. I spent a lot of time at Borderless and kept going in circles in the beginning. Some rooms made me really dizzy and I used the waiting areas to lie down for a minute. I think it was good to experience Borderless once, but I personally wouldn't go back again. The Forest of Lamps was my favourite room though and I thought the Mirrorless world got inspiration from Yayoi Kusama's infinity rooms.

Teamlab Borderless

Forest of Lamps
I walked to Diver City afterwards to see the famous Gundam. The mall was further away than I thought but luckily I made it in time to see the Gundam transform. Finally, I had dinner in Aqua City at Coco Ichibanya and explored Odaiba park afterwards. I wasn't that impressed by Coco but its probably because spicy curry is lost on me. I got some shots of Rainbow bridge but I was disappointed that it wasn't actually lit up in rainbow colours.
Gundam pre-transformation

Rainbow bridge ft. Odaiba's statue of libery

Day 12 - Last Minute Shopping

I went to Yoyogi park and Meiji Jingu in the morning. I saw some ceremonial processions at Meiji Jingu but wasn't sure which occasion it was for.
Sake barrels at Meiji Jingu
Afterwards, I lined up at Afuri for lunch. I was lucky to beat the lunch rush and only had to wait ~15 minutes before I got in. The yuzu ramen was delicious and I'd definitely go again.

Lunch at Afuri

I walked down Takeshita street which was busy, but not terrible as I was already used to crowds. Later, I arrived at the LINE Friends store in Harajuku. I wish the store was bigger but I was happy to see BT21 merch there. I made my way through Shibuya, stopping at Shibuya Tower Records. I think there was an Oh My Girl concert/event there that day but since I couldn't understand Japanese, I didn't try to get tickets. Walking through the Kpop floor tested my limits but I ended up walking out of the store without having bought anything.
Takeshita street
Next, I went to the famous Shibuya crossing to take some pictures. It was pretty cool to see in person but 10 minutes was enough for me. I also saw Hachiko and was surprised by how small the statue is in real life!
Shibuya crossing
I got a really cheap soy milk drink at Shibuya station and then stopped by Shibuya Mega Donki to get another suitcase.

Day 13 - Hamarikyu and Nippori

I had plans to meet up with my friend for lunch and explore Hamarikyu afterwards. Since I was checking in to my final hostel later that day, I brought all my luggage with me and planned to store them in a coin locker while I was out.

I didn't have any problems with a coin locker in Shinjuku but wasn't so lucky this time. First, it was difficult to find a coin locker big enough for all of my luggage. It also didn't help that it was Sunday and busy in the station. After I found a coin locker, I had problems closing it. I put in the coins but the locker didn't close. This turned into a 30+ minute situation where an employee working nearby helped me. Eventually an employee of the train station (or coin lockers) helped me resolve the situation. I was really grateful for everyone's help but it would've been helpful to know more Japanese then (Google Translate didn't work out).

After that event, my friend and I had ochazuke for lunch. We stopped by an observation deck before going to Hamarikyu. It wasn't easy to find though as Google Maps was leading us astray and navigating the building was confusing.
View from observation deck

At Hamarikyu, there were a lot of events going on as they had tea ceremonies that day. We weren't able to get tickets but we participated in a smaller activity and created a decorative piece. I personally liked Hamarikyu garden more than Shinjuku Gyoen.
Hamarikyu garden

Finally, we split up and I went to my last hostel near Nippori station. My throat was hurting so I knew I was getting sick. I got dinner at a small store and discovered through this walk that I went the long way to the hostel initially (thanks to Google Maps yet again). 

Day 14 - Soaking in a sento

I wasn't feeling great so I kept a light schedule.
In the morning, I walked through Ueno park and then ate at a Yoshinoya for lunch. 90% of the customers there were salarymen.

I then went to Ginza to check out the Kumamoto shop but found that it was closed on Monday. ): I did go to Sanrio World which was also in the area. Didn't buy anything there but added a Gudetama gachapon to my collection.

I returned to my hostel in the afternoon and went to the sento (public bath) beside it. It was a great experience. I tried all of the baths there but enjoyed the lukewarm bath and outdoor bath the most.
For dinner, I went to a Vietnamese store that was close to my hostel and enjoyed pho there. 

Day 15 - Flight home

My journey ended in a similar fashion as it had began; unexpected events threatened to derail me but everything worked out in the end.

It was drizzling in the morning when I checked out of my hostel. I only realized on the Keisei Skyliner that my water bottle was sitting on a desk in the hostel. At the airport, I had trouble again with security for my tripod. Apparently, Japan has stricter laws about carry-on items than the US! Luckily, an employee at the check in counters was helpful enough to check in my tripod for free as a fragile item.

While waiting for my flight, I bought a Pocari Sweat to drink but I couldn't even taste it because I was sick.
During the flight, I lost my hearing due to being sick and pressure changes on the airplane. The airplane food was pretty fancy (Japan Airlines) but I couldn't taste any of it. The meals were specially prepared by young chefs and selected from a competition. 
I didn't watch any movies on the airplane this time. But someone in front of me watched Crazy Rich Asians and Aladdin and I caught over 60% of those movies. 

It was pretty jarring (culturally) to go from Japan to Chicago. And finally, after two flights and lots of waiting, I was home!

Final thoughts

  • Travelling solo in a foreign country isn't easy but is really rewarding as you can do whatever you want!
  • Heated toilet seats are wonderful
  • I spent a lot of time planning and researching for this trip. It was really helpful but very time consuming
  • I have to spread out tonkatsu / ramen / tempura meals because it becomes too greasy for me
  • Kyoto was much more attractive than Tokyo & Osaka for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Ideas: Getting more specific with locations

Tip: Create a radar chart in DS using built-in area charts